Saturday, October 10, 2009

"why are you single"

The most dreaded question that I get asked almost daily, with an even more dreaded answer. I feel that this comment is almost a backhanded compliment. Sure, it's usually by someone who is surprised I'm single, but it also insinuates that there is something so wrong with being single. As if it is a state that you shouldn't be, without a reason. Do I ever ask people "why are you in a relationship?". One of these days I will give an answer other than "not sure!" and it will be one or all of the following:

a) Because I live in Toronto. Have you seen the girl to guy ratio?
b) Because of a) there is a significant lacking of cute, smart, single boys.
c) Because many guys fall for me. And Many/All of said guys have girlfriends and I don't believe in fairytales. Or wrecking homes.
d) Because I don't see the state of being single something that I have to get out of by "settling".
e) Because I am secretly a monster that eats the heads of all boys who I kiss.

Isn't it obvious? I'm single because I haven't found anyone that I can see myself with. That's it. That's all.

What is the answer to this ridiculous question?

1 comments:

David Pylyp said...

The correct answer is you have not found anyone good enough yet, no further explanation is required.

Technology impared without an iphone or blackberry

David Pylyp
Living in Toronto