Tuesday, December 29, 2009

I am a size 4

As those who of you who follow me on twitter know, last week I went on a fun date with Crooked Star. I had a massage, and was contemplating canceling the date as it was late, but then he suggested something I couldn't turn down -- "Would you like to come to Holt's with me and help me pick out my sister's Christmas gift?". He immediately heard the excitement in my voice when I said "yesyesyesyesyes", and cautioned me that this was only date number 8, and since I was a bad girl for the last few dates (read: grumpy, hungover and a bee eye tee sea ach), Santa isn't getting anything for me. That was ok with me, still fun to play and try on things. Holt's wasn't a huge success (it is IMPOSSIBLE to pick out for a girl you  have never met, and all the things he was initially picking out were $600+ which was too much). So we go to Aritzia.

Now, let me start by saying I LOVE Aritzia. Everything there fits me so nicely, and I almost always want to buy every single thing I try on. We walk in and see an awesome boyfriend jacket and I tell him he must buy immediately for le soeur. Then the store clerk comes over and asks Crooked Star if he needs any help. The boy is trying to pick out a size and says his sister is about my size. Ok. That's fine. The girl looks me up and down and says "What size are you?" I say "a four." She looks me up and down AGAIN and says "no you aren't, I'm a four." This prompts me to look her up and down, and see that she is a twig who is most definitely a zero or even less. Her legs were skinnier than my arms. Twigs that I could snap. I shrug it off and say "well I'm usually a four in Aritzia clothes, but in designer clothes I'm a fatty for them so usually about a six or eight". She then says "Oh yes, Aritzia sizes are sized huge, so you probably are bigger". Lovely, merci beaucoup. Boy then asks Twig to try on jacket (big mistake on his behalf). Twig then removes her sweater, only to have a mesh see through american apparel tank on underneath, with only a lace mesh see through bra. I can't stop staring at her breasts, and even though Crooked Star claims he didn't notice them, I'm sure he couldn't either. Twig then puts on the size four, and voila, it's too big. Quel surprise. Puts on a two, still too big. Have a sandwich.

This is an absurdly long story, but it begs me to ask what the fuck is with the competitive nature of girls? I think it was obvious I was on some sort of date with this guy, and the girl continuously was trying to make me look bad in front of him. I see her every time I go in there (Bloor street, orange hair, even oranger face), and I am tempted to ask her what made her do that? Is it her own insecurity? Is she desperate to compensate for her retail job by making other girls feel bad? Guys are dicks enough as is, I don't understand why girls need to compete. We are on the same team, it's us against them, and we need to teach boys that other girls won't let them get away with wandering.. Not let them know that they can cheat anytime they want because there is an orange skinned retailer around the corner. People cheat, because they can.

And I am a four.

6 comments:

Dejana • shopsterium.com said...

I think you're overreacting a bit. I doubt she gave it any thought when she said that. Dunno, it's hard to judge, depends on the tone of her voice, too. Anyways, you shouldn't get upset over things like that, and I doubt your date really thought any less of you because of what orange twig said :)

b. said...

While I believe that there absolutely could be helpful intent behind a similar situation, this was not one. She was touching Crooked Star, and was extremely flirty and catty towards me. Very negative tone. Not too upset, it just struck a chord with me as I have been in many scenarios where girls will blatantly make another look bad in an attempt to flirt with boys (Many a times I have had girls walk up to the boy I was dating at the time, throw themselves at him, and say "why are you with her when you could be with me?").

This is a lighter, less obvious example on purpose, as it brings to light the small, tricky mind games that girls play with one another.

That being said, I was definitely hotter than her, hips and all ;)

Rayanne Langdon said...

Whoa, dude actually said, "You aren't getting a gift for these reasons"? Nuts.

Love all your stories, BTW : )

b. said...

No no no. he was saying it sweetly. I am fully admitting I was being a huge bitch to him on the last few dates, so I was not worthy of a pressie.

CASE STUDY said...

i wanna go in and be a bitch to her. i never shot at aritzia but i did work in retail during college. i never act bitchy while shopping but i feel like in this case it would be fun and totally post worthy.

...leaving orangerella to clean up all the clothes after mama goes shopping...better get good service too!

i'm sure she was doing it on purpose, you don't act like that 'by accident'! what a bitch.

Anonymous said...

Every Aritzia i've been into has fake, mean, overly pretentious staff. I want to stab them in the eyes when I go in, hence why I don't shop there. I LOVE the clothes, but can't handle locking my bag up in a damn drawer when trying something on and dealing with teenage *orange twigs* (My apologies to all you normal awesome girls that work there).

Girls dress for other girls, not for boys.

P.S. you rock and are hot, so damn with them.

R